Thursday 5 November 2009

War memorial: remembering in Shepherd's Bush

poppyOne of the first articles I ever wrote for this blog a year ago was this account of last November's commemoration at the mini cenotaph on Shepherd's Bush Green.

At the time I was particularly sad to witness the sight of lots of bright young children marching in step, clad in fatigues and boots. They seemed almost eager for the next war. I don't think this year will be any different for me, just like previous years I will probably see it coming out of the gym at the W12 centre.

We do need to mark the occasion, not least for all of those in 1914-18 who never came back, the last of whom have only just died.

But I wonder whether we also put enough effort into listening to what that lost generation would be shouting at us to realise about how we need to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment